Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:18:16 -0700
Hi, listservers and vendors,

Please reply to me off list regarding my husband's request.  I will
summarize responses.

"The OCR engine we have here at Geotest is ScanSoft's Omni Page Pro,
version 14.0.

It works fairly well on ordinary text - but when it tries to scan tabular
data it gets the 'jimjams', throwing in all manner of spurious characters,
making strange font changes and formatting the text weirdly.  If fact, when
it comes down to it:  it's actually more efficient to just re-build the
table from scratch as opposed to grappling with the mess OmniPage leaves us
with.

If anyone can suggest an engine that would be an improvement - one that
actually scans tables in a logical and workable manner - I would like to
know about it.

Thanks in advance to you and your ListServ associates.

Respectfully,

Jim "Yukikaze" Lowerre
Technical Writer
GEOTEST/Marvin Test Systems

Spell Czech is knot enough.  Ewe half too proof reed, two."

Thanks,

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member  ARMA, The Association for Information Management Professionals
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's award-winning website at
ocarma.org