From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:44:17 -0800
At 03:03 PM 1/21/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Gang,
>
>For you experts out there, what would be the approximate amount of banker
>boxes (standard archive boxes 1.1 cubic foot) would it take to fill 3,100
>lineal feet of paper records.

First, what WE as RMs refer to as a standard box at 1.1 ft3, commercial
records storage companies (almost across the board) refer to as 1.2 or 1.3
ft3, and this is what they bill you to store them.  Their "reasoning" is
that the footprint of the box, including allowance for overhang of the
cover on all four sides, is somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3 ft3...
personally, I think this is a bunch of hooey, but if your calculation is
leading to what is it going to cost to store these, you may need to
consider this and check with prospective vendors what they charge for what
YOU'RE CALLING a "Standard Records Carton".

Now, as to your question about number of boxes to put 3100 LF of records
into, this depends on if they're legal or letter size, and if the folders
have top or end tabs... and if the lineal feet are on shelves or in
drawers. The basic records storage carton is 12x10x15, which would mean if
the records are top tab, letter size:

the capacity (inactive) would be 15" per box
the capacity (active) would be 14" per box (so you can access the files)

If they are top tab, legal size:

the capacity (inactive) would be 12" per box
the capacity (active) would be 11" per box (so you can access the files)

If they are end tab, letter size:

the capacity (inactive) would be 12" per box
the capacity (active) would be 11" per box (so you can access the files)

This is because the tabs project roughly 3/4 of an inch beyond the width of
the file, and if you intend to be able to read what's on them, you need to
turn them "the legal direction" in the box.

If they're end tab legal size, you're on your own.

3100 LF x 12 inches= 37200 LI

Letter, top tab, inactive-   37200/15= 2480
Letter, top tab, active-      37200/14= 2658
Letter, end tab, active-     37200/12= 3100
Letter, end tab, inactive-   37200/11= 3382
Legal top tab, active-        37200/12= 3100
Legal top tab, inactive-      37200/11= 3382

And the reason it matters if they're in drawers or on shelves, is in
drawers they're likely compressed and you need to ensure the measure you're
using of the capacity takes this into account, on shelves, they're
typically "looser".

Your mileage may vary...

Larry