From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:49:44 -0500
My experience over the past decade is has been that government (US Fed and
Local) organizations are more likely to have codified records schedules
for systems development processes than private industry.  At my last
employer, I sat down to talk about records within the systems development
people, and got a big, "you mean this process creates records..."  Good
thing we were working on buying/implementing an RMA or that discussion may
have been further down the road.

In new current position, we will be going there soon, as we are in the
process of implementing and EDMS/RMA, and if the IT folks are not
understanding the process is full of records, they will know soon.

One of the best places to attack this problem or situation is from the
Configuration Management (CM) part of the IT Department.  They understand
CM, and my experience - though brief - working as part of a CM process,
was that it is full of many types of IT/system development records.

My PC/system back up is now complete.  Time to stash a copy of the backup
file and reload Windows.  OH THE PAIN!

Tod

Tod Chernikoff, CRM

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:03:49 -0500, Peter Kurilecz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 12/26/05, Gerard J. Nicol <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Peter,

>In this respect IT is no different to any other business unit, and in fact
many IT decisions are unfortunately made outside of IT.

I think that this type of incident may be going away. I suspect it is
a result of demands being made upon the IT infrastructure and
Sarbanes-Oxley. As much as I dislike SoX I am glad that it forced
organizations to identify their systems and the associated controls
(if they existed).

More and more if a department wants to put a new system on an
organization's network, the system must be approved by the IT
department. At my last employer I had to fill out reams of paperwork
so that a piece of software could use the company's network resources.
And the software had to be tested by the IT dept to make sure it
wouldn't greatly affect the network. The sad part was that the
software was an OTS product and the required paperwork was what one
would use if you were developing a system from the ground up.

slowly but surely IT departments are being forced to recognize that
they do create and mantain records and that their records fall under
the records retention programs.
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va