From:
Laura Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:38:23 -0500
On this subject I recently found many old definitions that we are no
longer comfortable for the "record copy" and "official records."
References in an old textbook for Records Management dated 1996 for the
copyright said that most emails were only considered transmittal
documents not actually records.  Just look how far we have come as now
the email traffic is considered official records.

Ms. Laura F. Bell
DOT Directives & Records Management
Office of the Secretary of Transportation
202-366-9761