From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:02:38 -0800
On 2/21/06, Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My Human Resources area is having a discussion as to what records should
> be included in a personnel file and what should be kept somewhere else.
>
> Are there members of the Listserv that have specific documents collected
> to the Personnel file and the reason why.......what should be retained in
> other files and why?

Here's some guidance on HR File content from a number of sources

http://snipurl.com/mtbg

Here's some guidance on retention time frames from a number of sources

http://snipurl.com/mtbb

I think it depends a lot on the industry you're in, if there is anyone that
regulates your practices (Department of Labor, OSHA, State Labor Board(s),
Unions) and where you operate.  To a certain extent, it depends on your
organization's level of risk tolerance as well.

You can elect to keep as much or as little as you desire, but you should
determine the risks associated with NOT retaining certain information long
enough, or retaining some information too long.  You should also review the
privacy concerns related to some of the information being retained, where
(and how) you secure it and provide access to it, and ensure anyone involved
in the management of the records are trained and sign off acknowledging they
have received training and are aware of the regulations related to the
improper release of private and personal information.  Any of this type of
information transferred to a 3rd party provider (storage firm, service
bureau, etc.) should be done under a "business associates" or an "affiliate"
agreement, ensuring they are also aware of the obligations to protect the
privacy of the information entrusted to them.

One area many companies get tangled up in litigation on is the maintaining
of "unofficial personnel files" by work unit supervisors, etc. that aren't
properly managed.  There should be an official HR file, and if an
organization approves the management of a Supervisor's or Departmental file,
there should be strict policy about how it is kept (locked in a desk or
file, etc.) and that it is transferred to HR wen the employee transfers or
leaves the organization.  Certain contents that have limited retention
periods (such as evaluations and work improvement plans) should be securely
destroyed in accordance with the retention schedule.

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA