From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 09:42:11 -0700
On 5/16/07, Karen Cannell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am researching the above-mentioned topic/emerging techonology in
> order to present about ten minutes worth of information to local
> government records officers. The audience will have a zero to low
> understanding of the concept and most of my findings so far have catered
> to a rather sophisticated customer base.
>
> Any direction or information would be appreciated and feel free to
> reply to me off list if you'd prefer.

I guess if they have no understanding of the topic, it may not matter to
much what you tell them (?)

There was an article in the WSJ yesterday that spoke about this on a more
personal than business level.  Essentially the concept is you transmit your
electronic content to a remote location, either run by your organization, or
a third party provider, and they store it for you.

It generally is a second copy, NOT your "live data", so it represents a
remote backup and can be near to real time, or delayed by whatever time
frame you choose.

Proponents argue that it's "more secure than transferring tape", and
supposedly less costly because these same proponents argue that it doesn't
require encryption... but that's a weak argument, because it still needs to
be sent over a secure line and no matter what, if a third party is managing
your data, you're going to want it encrypted!

Some of the potential risks include ensuring the power source is "clean" and
consistently available at the other end, that the
transmission/communications system is reliable and secure, that your
information is NOT COMMINGLED with that of others on common servers/platters
(and that any backups run aren't either), what the service level agreements
(SLAs) are and that they meet your operational needs, and what the
arrangements are and what priorities you have for gaining access to your
information in the event of a disaster.

It's what many are viewing as the next wave of commercial record storage, so
the suggestion is that organizations use the same selection criteria here as
for storing paper, and the same due diligence in selecting a service
provider.  Make sure it's "the business the business is in", and that they
have a successful track record, that the levels of protection you require
for the type of data you're storing are met, that the risks don't outweigh
the benefits, and that COST isn't the only consideration used in the final
analysis.

If you have a security or privacy breach of your data, who has their name in
the press? Who has their reputation blemished? Who is fined and/or forced to
pay the penalties?  Who has to pay for credit checks for customers for years
to come?   Your organization or your service provider?

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA