From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 11:47:27 -0400
On 5/18/07, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> not all stated
> business "needs" for the newest flashy, shiny, spinny, go-fast is
> logical or driven by better efficiency or productivity.  Quite often it
> is driven by human nature and the attraction of new technologies.

this goes to the concept called "technology adoption lifecycle" that
contains 5 types of individuals

Innovators - these are the guys who like bright shiny objects, the
latest and greatest technology out there. they want to have it no
matter how flaky the technology is

Early adopters - similar to the above but wait a little bit for the
technology to stabilize before buying

Early Majority

Later Majority

Laggards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_Adoption_LifeCycle

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~fmb/articles/lifecycle/

http://www.hightechstrategies.com/profiles.html

>So
> our job is to keep on top of the RIM impact of all the new go-fasts that
> come down the pike.

and how do you do that? review the tech magazines, read RAIN, look at
what people are using. If you see someone with a new toy ask them
about it and how they use, stroll the circuit citys, best buys, frys
etc to see what is in the marketplace.

>Luckily, my current employer (City water utility)
> does not allow the use of IM on our network or cell phones for several
> reasons (mostly cost) so I have not yet had to deal with the issues
> here.  That doesn't mean I won't have to in the future.

(the following are not directed to Ginny but rather to everyone) How
about cellphone cameras? does your organization allow cellphones
equipped with cameras inside your facility? Did you realize that is a
great corporate espionage tool? I've been to one company in the past 2
years that explicitly banned cellphones with cameras from entering the
facility. Now go out and try to find a cellphone that doesn't come
equipped with a camera. Don't forget that RM has a role in protecting
corporate information.

I'm not saying don't adopt the technologies coming down the pike but
do keep in the back of your mind the various impacts that the
technology will have on your organization and not just on retention.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va