From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:45:28 -0500
Mellisa wrote

 "Picture a large Circle - everything within the large circle is Company
Information
Now picture a smaller circle within the larger circle - everything
within the smaller circle is Company Record
Now picture an even smaller circle within the second circle - all that
is Company Business Records"

My question would be how do you then consistently manage the stuff in the
company records circle that don't meet the requirements of a company
business record.  Is it by definition ?

Then I ask the question if we're considering ourselve's Records &
Information management (RIM) professionals do we/how do we consistently
manage the information/company records circles so the bucket of stuff
employee's consider valuable to them to do their jobs doesn't grow grow so
large it creates a huge liability/risk to the company.  Simply starting to
worry about records when they're declared a record is something I've been
told and don't believe.  We need to begin the management process at
creation and then if the document/etc doesn't become a record have a
consistent process to get rid of it.  That's where my question came from
because if the record definition is general enough all these documents are
records and must be managed.

I guess putting it another way is : Don't we start managing it at the big
cirlce level and how do we manage the stuff that never gets to the company
business record cicle.

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc