From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:24:14 -0700
Smallwood has a couple good articles, so thank you Jesse.

My own experience - there's some good email management products out there.
We all know that our needs are growing and changing. Smallwood claims the
average company has up to 75% of it's intellectual property in it's email
system. My study with my current employer (this done 3 years ago)
demonstrated we had up to 80%, so I agree with the numbers.

Resources here being what they are (I'm a one person show reporting to our
Litigation & Compliance Counsel) the acquisition of a solid email management
product for our employees plus a usable legal console for email searches has
been my #1 priority for some time. We think we have our product, but we
won't deploy until we swing over to Office 2007 this fall.

Regardless of the product, you have got to put some thought into how you
want to use it, what your business rules will be, and all the technical
deployment from the IT side. I can't stress enough how very key it is that
you from a "golden triangle" between your IT, legal counsel, and you as a
records manager. It isn't a matter of territory or who manages what - you
all have to have input in this one. Trust me it is absolutely smootly no fun
to have to respond to a legal request and not have your act together.

This is not your father's or even your brother's email anymore.

Stepping off my soapbox now...well, not really a soapbox...try a box of used
Porsche parts.

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA