From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:05:01 -0700
This is the scheme I use for my entertainment assets (and a sample of
entries); music, videos, movies, etc. (I used Excel; it is searchable,
etc.):

Index	Loc.	Media	Genre	Artist	Title	Comments
29	Cube	Reel	Rock	Fleetwood Mac, Amazing Rhythm Aces,
Kinks	None
30	Cube	Reel	Folk	Eagles, America, Bob Dylan	None
31	Cube	Reel	Rock	Steppenwolf, Neil Diamond, Bachman
Turner Overdrive	None
32	Cube	Reel	Country	John Denver	5 Albums
33	Cube	Reel	Country	Barbi Benton, Jessi Colter, Marie
Osmond	Country Ladies 2
34	Cube	Reel	Country	Merle Haggard	6 albums
35	Cube	Reel	Country	David Allan Coe, Willie Nelson	6
albums
36	Cube	Reel	Rock	Beach Boys, Hollies, Bay City
Rollers	4 albums
37	Cube	Reel	Rock	Loggins & Messina	3 albums
38	Cube	Reel	Rock	Simon & Garfunkel	5 albums
39	Cube	Reel	Country	Waylon, Willie, Jessi, Tompall,
Kris	8 albums
40	Cube	Reel	Country	Bobbie Gentry, Tammy Wynette, Tanya
Tucker, Donna Fargo, Tina Turner	Country Ladies 3
41	Cube	Reel	Country	John Denver	5 Albums
42	Cube	Reel	Country	Linda Ronstadt, Loretta Lynn	6
albums
43	Cube	Reel	Bluegrass	Various artists	7 albums
44	Cube	Reel	Country	Olivia Newton John, Dottie West, Anne
Murray, Jeannie C. Riley, Jeannie Seely	Country Ladies 4
45	Cube	Reel	Be-Bop	Various artists	Steve's Be-Bop & Blues
46	Cube	Reel	Misc	Various artists	Party Tape 2

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/26/2007 3:24 PM >>>
Wow, sounds like everyone's having a lot of fun with their i-pods, and
that folks are about as geeky with their music as I am with mine. We
may
need   professional help! However, from a (tongue in cheek) records
management perspective, a few questions have occurred to me during
this
conversation about buckets....

If metadata tags consist of categories such as genre, artist, beats
per
minute - or anything else - what's the difference of that type of
system
and a file classification system - other than one is laid out
hierarchically, and the other utilizes metadata tags? Don't both still
use searchable key words of some kind? Doesn't the necessity of
assigning a value to the item in question still exist?

<snip>