From:
Cathy Scheid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:00:00 -0500
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I certainly have a lot to consider on both sides.

I should've clarified the reason that I'd like access to the files. I am interested in taking over filling HR records requests because I feel they have not been doing a particularly good job of it. Specifically, I feel that they charge for unnecessary pages (blank pages, photocopies of envelopes, and in the latest instance they wanted to charge for the photocopy of the written records request itself!). Because the HR staff has not responded to directions I think it would be better to just do it myself. And I do mean myself, I would never allow anyone on my staff to view the files.

I am going to speak to our IT department to see if there is a way to show HR that I am only accessing files if and when a request arrives, that may provide the peace of mind that HR needs. I will also follow Patrick's advice to draw up a memo of understanding that carefully outlines my access plans.

In response to Patrick, our patient files are stored off site under the eye of the medical records personnel (who are not under my direction) at our individual health care facilities.

Cathy L. Scheid, MLIS
Director of Records Management and Subrogation
Health Care District of Palm Beach County
561-659-1270 Extension 5500
www.hcdpbc.org<http://www.hcdpbc.org>

DISCLAIMER: CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.