From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:30:00 -0700
Hi Sandra,

Excellent point. I agree that there is an ethical issue when the same folks
write the RFP and respond to it.

That said, I think there are a few consulting groups out there that would do
the RFP engagement even at the expense of the longer-term engagement,
perhaps because of the shorter vs. longer time commitment. You'll also see
smaller organizations that might not have the staff to adequately do the
longer engagement but could put together a credible RFP - some of the more
well-known people in the industry move on or sort of retire and become "lone
wolf" consultants, with minimal staff but tons of knowledge and experience
from having built programs and organizations.

The thing I would caution everyone on is that as this thread shows writing a
good RFP is also a project in itself. That means you can't expect it done in
an afternoon - even if you already have good requirements defined (and most
organizations don't).

I'd be happy to speak with anyone offline about this. And as I noted in my
previous note, there are quite a few government-focused RFPs out there; I'd
direct folks particularly to the work being done by NYSED in NY and NJDARM
in NJ as they have extensive grant programs for RIM program assessment and
development and the municipalities out there put out RFPs for consultants
every year.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins