From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:31:43 -0400
With regard to Offsite Storage Box Stacking, I think that the trend
may be to move to higher density for several reasons:

1) The Industry fought to change from the 250,000 cubic foot storage
compartment of records to a larger compartment as part of the trend
of mergers and acquisitions that created very large storage companies.

(Iron Mountain, Recall, NRC, NOVA, Goldman-Sachs, Access, Sterling
and Retrievex to name a few of the larger players on the box side.
Many of these have moved to larger compartments as allowable under
the revised NFPA 232 Standard which now allows a larger volume of
records in one compartment.)

If density is king then stacking higher is a natural component of a
business that is really a commodity business.

2) PRISM, Iron Mountain and Fire Protection Consortium have
collaborated on a sprinkler system and rack design that will be
incorporated into NFPA 13 Sprinkler Standard. This new design under
real world fire testing has proven very effective at limiting a fire
to a very small bay. The additional sprinkler flu space make it
desirable to stack to a higher density in the same 9'x 9' or 12' x
12' bay. When this technology is implemented around the country in
storage warehouses, records storage will be much safer. So in this
design 4 High may be advantageous from a density stand point although
it may make retrievals more cumbersome.

3) The reduction in the number of retrievals!!  If you think about
it, have you not reduced the number of times you retrieve a box in
this age of digital records.  I know I leave my desk far fewer time
to access a file cabinet.  Everything I need is right there in my
computer or my my back up server.

Has anyone tracked the number of times you retrieve a box this year
versus five years ago?  So this is pressure on the storage industry
as boxes tend to just sit there.  Can we have some honest answers on
this volume?  Is it less in your organization?

Boxes sit on a shelf for less than 10 years in this world of
expedited shredding and destruction of old records.  This is a sign
of excellent records management but again, the storage company is
seeing his box volumes shrink and must be more efficient in their
storage.

Only 30% of records created move to paper format so this is a
reduction. Think of all the memos that emails replace.  I receive
emails that have a footer that says "Be kind to the Planet Earth and
do not print this email."

These are all excellent examples of records management creating cost
efficiencies for the organization.

Or am I wrong about the number of retrievals being less this last
year than say five years ago?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134