From:
"Allan, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 15:11:09 -0500
The new physician is also bound by the doctor-patient privilege so in
general you should feel your information will remain confidential (I
know, I know, there are always going to be exceptions...).  Plus, I know
I'd rather have my medical record sitting in the office of a practicing
physician instead of in a self-serve storage unit somewhere or in the
retired physician's garage.

If a single physician has been in practice up to the point of
retirement, she may have thousands of records for patients who are still
active - as well as for those she saw only once for a minor
episode/patients who changed physicians/moved away/died.  While many
physicians mail announcements regarding their retirement and the new
physician taking over, it is often impossible to reach every patient -
and some patients ignore the announcements until they get sick and go
for treatment.

And no, even if the record belongs to the doctor, she can't just do what
she wants with private and confidential information.  State and Federal
laws (like HIPAA) apply.

Liz Allan, RHIA