From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:09:26 -0600
My grateful  thanks to those that have replied so far.  Your comments as
usual are a wealth of information.

There have been over 100 replies to date.  I will leave the taxonomy survey
open for another two weeks.  It will close on October 15th 2010.

If you can pass the survey link to a colleague, I would appreciate it.  The
more data received,  the more accurate the results will become.  And I
suspect that as we cross-tabulate responses, the survey will divulge more
about the current trends across the globe.

My abject apologies to New Zealand . how I missed your country when
migrating my location question from an Australasia focus I'll never know.
But I believe I can extrapolate a New Zealand focus should anyone be
interested.

Some Preliminary Results

21% of respondents were government.  A surprising 16 % were financial
sector, banking, insurance etc.

48% of respondents were organizations with more than 1000 staff

Some 60% of respondents have or are developing an ECM product.  20 % of
these organizations are working with SharePoint.

I will post most of the baseline results in late October.  I think people
will be quite interested in the success factors, training approaches,
costing information, and the perceived usability of the systems.

Reposting

I would like to invite list serve members to participate in a survey on
taxonomy design and development.  The link  below will lead you to a 10 - 15
minute survey . about 20 or so questions on average.  I am looking for
organizations that have designed, developed and perhaps implemented a
taxonomy or records classification (categorization) system.   (and with the
usual apologies for cross-posting!)

One of the most critical segments of records program design is the effective
development of a corporate taxonomy.   It is of importance to so many
aspects of a program; retention schedule development; ECM - Enterprise
Content Management Systems; Vital records programs; and Freedom of
Information compliance.   And yet many organizations know little about
costs, methods, and success factors associated with taxonomy development.  I
am also curious as to how popular and effective functional designs have
become since the advent of ISO 15489 .

I will be happy to post the major results on the list and hope that it will
allow me to generate an article with respect to the findings.  Please note
that the results have been anonymized; organizations' identities are
protected.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/22TL85B

Regards

Jim