From:
Craig Conant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:07:50 -0500
Lee,

I had a similar experience a while back while managing the records of a
Federal agency.  While this agency's mission critical records were well
managed, their own routine administrative records were not, and they had no
automated means of tracking records at off-site storage.  While conducting a
records inventory at the agency, we discovered records that had outlived
their retention periods decades ago.  After asking people at NARA about
destroying these records, they said that for their purposes the records did
not exist, and that they could be destroyed at the direction of the agency
records officer.  To Larry Medina's comments, I would only add that if the
records have been scheduled, some mention of the schedule number or name
should be included with the description of the records.  If they are
unscheduled, that should be indicated as well.

Craig Conant
Booz Allen Hamilton