From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 12:50:53 -0500
John-

This is a perfect example of "cart before horse" logic.  It's similar to
what I've said in the past about organizations leaping into the use of
technologies such as the use of social media or smart phones without
considering the implications of the vast amounts of data they will generate,
and how they will control it.

The requirements are on the books, there should be little if any question of
what their obligations will be if they deploy these technologies, but they
give no consideration at all to the need to store, index, provide access to,
migrate, convert, manage or otherwise control this information.  And that
doesn't even address the situation facing many public entities, who will
have to respond to requests for access to the data.

Sure, there is some question regarding "are these REALLY records?" or "what
portion of them are REALLY records?" but if you can't develop an algorithm
that figures this out for you automatically, well... then I guess you have
to treat them ALL as records.

So, get out the calculator, multiply the volume created by the required
storage period, determine how you can best store, index, and control the new
content, and pony up the bucks for the staff, applications, hardware,
communications equipment and other needs to manage and support what you
decided you JUST HADDA HAVE. =)

In the Federal Govt, there is a process called CPIC  (here's a link to EPA's
explanation of how it works  http://bit.ly/fO4QTW )  but simply stated, it
requires planning for capital investments in IT, which includes an analysis
of information that meets the definition of a record the system will
generate, receive, or otherwise create that requires management, and
ensuring the planning includes setting aside funds to address the management
of this 'content', for its required lifecycle.

Does it always happen?  Well, the GAO will tell you NO, it doesn't... but
its getting better.  Why? Because it results in a black eye when the IG,
GAO, or OMB does research that shows it WASN'T done.

Maybe states, municipalities, businesses and others need to start thinking
of the costs associated with the information they are creating and plan to
address those needs as part of funding the deployment of technology.

(And no, I don't have a medical marijuana card, nor am I intoxicated this
morning, but a man has to have a dream, doesn't he?)

Larry
[Yes, it's really me =) ]