From:
Matthew Revitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Revitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:44:19 +0100
In the course of investigating Content Management Sys
Hi Everyone:

In the course of investigating Content Management Systems to manage paper and electronic records at a medium-sized business, I have found that some of the Document Management Systems have a limited (2-3 tier) hierarchical structure with the top level as Function, below this Activity, and below this Documents Types (for example, invoice and contract).

This shallow structure and emphasis on document types is a different approach to capturing documents then what I have been previously used to. Back in the UK, when implementing an ERMS we developed fileplans based on the functions, activities, and processes of the organization. The fileplans had multiple levels and users had to choose where in the hierarchical structure the document should be saved. Based on that decision, certain metadata would be automatically attached to the record (such as security and retention). With this approach, it did not matter whether the document was a contract or invoice: it was related to a specific process and therefore managed with other documents created in the course of performing this process. I am not sure how the system relying on document type would allow for rules like this to be applied automatically.

1. I would appreciate any feedback from people regarding the use of document type vs fileplan.
2. If you use a CMS which emphasizes filing based on document type, rather than a fileplan, what are your experiences?
3. Is the use of document type just a difference between a fully functional ERMS and Document Management System?

Many thanks in advance.

Finally: hello, list!  My name is Matthew Revitt and I am long time subscriber, but first time poster. I am originally from the UK where after receiving a MSc Econ in Records Management from the University of Aberystwyth I worked as a records manager for a number of local government authorities. I have been living in the US for nearly three years and I am currently working for a forestry and timberland management company in Maine.

Matthew Revitt, MSc Econ Records Management
RIM Consultant