From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:39:26 -0600
Well I ain't no big city lawyer but....

If I remember correcty the record may not be discounted simply because it is in electronic format. However the record integity may be challenged if you have not conformed to standard capture and storage practices. The rub comes if your organization is required to create and store a particular record or record series and you cannot, with a high degree of certainty assert that the record is as it was prior to capture. If your capture and storage procedures are sub-standard you may be alright in court under the "next best evidence rule" but out of compliance because you cannot verify thta the image is as it was in hardcopy. If your prcatices have been, or are, sub standard I would strongly suggest you keep your hardcopy until you can verify the images. Another factor is that if auditors determine a functional unit is not up to standard your entire implementation may be challenged.

Larry pointed out some of the various elements of an implementation and the importance of planning for them. Even more critical is maintaining the documnetation on your processes. Auditors ar enot amused when you tell them you veriied each image but did not account for it in your documentation.
While I mention auditors, we are much more likely to trip accross issues with them than lawyers. they keep abreast of issues more, are less concerned with the legality of these types of issues that attorneys and more likely to hammer us on waste, poor process and lack of accountability. I would suggest you bring your internal auditor in on this issue, bring them up to speed and listen to their suggestions.

Chris Flynn

 The "best evidence rule" may require you to present them *IF* you have them.