From:
BUTTNER Gesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 06:31:57 +0000
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply; actually your questions help very well to describe our case.

I post the answers to the list, as they might trigger further advice or recommendations as to whether the electronic processing of invoices is worth it or not in our specific case:

- only Finance Department uses the invoices;
- retention is 10 years;
- invoices are not requested often, only about a dozen times per year by a department who lost their copy. However invoices can be heavily requested by auditors, they usually want to see the original though;
- we have asked for legal advice whether we can destroy the paper originals after proper scanning - we do not know yet (French law require paper copies, but it is not clear whether my organisation as intergovernmental body falls under that legislation);
- daily invoices are between 50 and 300; we are not sure yet whether to scan them at once or in a batch - also outsourcing was suggested on the list;
- in the majority it is about the invoice itself, but in many cases it is also stapled to supporting documents which are not scanned, but which require un-stapling.

Best regards,

Gesa Büttner
Council of Europe
DIT - Information Management Division