Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:21:26 -0700
Hugh ... you just made my day.......

Robert W Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
253-229-4555

From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Hugh Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 9:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [RM] 7 Reasons Why You Need To Move From Archival Tapes To Cloud
Backup Solutions & Humor

> From: "Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: June 15, 2012 9:28:25 AM EDT
>
> Hi Hugh,
>
> I agree that cloud backups, in many of cases, will not deliver
> significant savings and can add undesirable risk.  However, as Gordy
> notes, there are some applications where, when done right with the
> right vendor, cloud backup can make sense.

I agree that things like my iTunes and even my massive photo collections are
served just fine on something like the Cloud that Apple offers. Apple
provides that stuff for free but I accept that like LinkedIn tomorrow it
will be a faithless friend and desert me.  I have the real value backed up
several ways.  But anyone using the Cloud in the real world of records
management has to have the sanity questioned.

Somewhere, there needs to be course given to IT Managers and CIO's that
explains why speed and density and just a low cost place to store things is
not a "Big Boy" solution. To ignore the 30 years of perfect performance of
Tape (as long as you migrate and update like the program calls
for).......... is like a Mother who ignores her one perfect son just because
a new baby comes along. Okay my brother was a lot better looking!  I give
him that!!

New technologies that start with such horrific results in their opening days
should be left at the curb no matter how many articles IBM, Google and
Oracle and Microsoft bribe trade journals to run.  (Fun fact, when you see a
new technology hyped as the next "Coming" look in the issue and see if that
vendor has a massive ad buy!  "Oh say it ain't so Joe!"

> That said, I see more of my clients moving from tape to disk for their
> backups, not to a cloud.  Disk can offer the same security features of
> tape, but less labor and distributed costs (e.g. tape rotation,
> offsite storage, etc.).  It is also often faster to restore from disk
> when necessary.

There is a great presentation given by Fred Moore of Horison Technology that
examines the reliability, the accuracy, security and cost comparison of Tape
versus Cloud that is amazing.  He is scheduled to present on this issue in
Chicago on September 6th at a session sponsored by PRISM.  It is a two day
conference that coves a whole range of topics in this field. Fred is the
keynote.  If you live in Chicago you might talk with your offsite storage
company to see if you could attend this conference as it has a really great
agenda.

It would be great if Records Managers played a role at these type of
conferences as it would bring gravitas to your arguments with management and
IT about how best to protect the corporation. Julie, I heard they are
looking for one more Case Study about how solid records management, ERM and
tape storage all come together.

They were going to have me do it; but, then they found out about by better
looking brother and that ended it!

Word to the Wise: "When checking out at the grocery store; the checker
turned to me and said "Strip Down and Face me!"  Well, I was starting to get
really fed up with all this Homeland Security Procedures at airport......
but at the grocery store??  Well after the screaming stopped I found out she
was talking about my credit card!!  So be careful of this!

I bet this sort of stuff never happens to Julie.......cause she is a
consultant.  Larry I could see. He would be focused on his Bar B Que
seasoning and would be absent minded and would already have his Hawaiin
shirt halfway off before he caught himself.

> Snip from Mary:

> I believe these conversations are good, but do caution that it might be
useful to clarify a bit more as we discuss.

> Mary Hilliard, CRM

Exactly!  That was my point to the check-out girl.  But I still have to find
another grocery store to shop in.  We must Clarify.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance To unsubscribe from
this list, click the below link. If not already present, place UNSUBSCRIBE
RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.