From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 21:29:07 -0400
I think a lot of the issues presented here can be addressed quickly by
clarifying that ARMA isn't creating a new framework.  ARMA is in the
process of developing a new professional certification.  ARMA did develop a
framework - the Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles and its
associated Maturity Model - a few years ago, both of which have enjoyed
healthy levels of adoption by a broad audience, and both of which continue
to mature and grow.  Sam's message, I think, is a nice example of someone
who is finding value in it.

If you want to debate the value of the IGP certification compared to the
CGEIT, CRM, CIP, CISSP or others, you are welcome to; however I suspect it
will be a difficult debate to have until the IGP has actually been
produced.  Until it is produced, you're not likely to hear details offered
here or anywhere else about the way it is being developed, its specific
scope or who is involved, beyond what is publicly available on ARMA's
website (www.arma.org/IGP).  Keep in mind that while ARMA is a
not-for-profit professional association, it is still a business and does
have intellectual property to protect; and so I would not expect anyone
from ARMA to go into great detail, in this forum particularly, about what
it is planning or the methods it uses to develop and deliver its products.
Plus, those individuals who are involved in the IGP certification
development are under NDA so have a duty to keep their mouths shut ...
which includes me.  :)

I'll also add that this listserv is not an ARMA sponsored forum, nor is it
used by ARMA as an official communication channel (which seems like a nice
segue for me to reiterate that all comments on this listserv by me are mine
as an individual and have no reflection or connection to any entity with
which I may associate or work and should be considered strictly
unofficial).  I suggest that any ARMA Member who is interested in or
concerned about what ARMA is doing is welcome to either participate in its
efforts by volunteering to help ensure a successful outcome, or at a
minimum direct specific questions about method, process and strategy to the
appropriate forums.  Transparency is a top goal of ARMA, and so it offers
many avenues in which Members can learn about what is going on and to ask
questions.

Angie, I appreciate your concern for ARMA's well being.  I care, too.  So,
again, I encourage you, or anyone else with the same or similar questions,
to direct your inquiry to the appropriate channels; and if you're not a
Member (which, according to the ARMA Member directory, it appears you
aren't?), to consider joining ARMA to gain access to details around what
the association is up to and to be able to participate in the many
volunteer opportunities that exist.  Your insight, experience and obvious
passion would be most welcome.

I hope this is helpful to at least send this conversation down a more
relevant path and to level set on expectations of what can reasonably be
discussed.

Cheers to all, and especially to all of the Dad's on the list!

Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM

http://twitter.com/juliecolgan