From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:55:01 -0600
Hi Carol,

Likewise :) I don't know any more about this than what is on the website but
it strikes me as having the same limitations as a host of similar
technologies ranging from existing microfilm to the Norsam technology used
for the Rosetta project, to wit:

- Many file formats don't lend themselves to capture as 2D images and there
is the potential for significant loss of capability.

- There is a substantial assumption here about the availability of hardware,
writers, readers, and media over time. USB is good but I have my doubts
about its availability 500 years from now

- There is a further assumption here about the availability of software and
drivers to write to/read from these disks over time. The fact that it uses
XML and PNG is a VERY good thing but again nothing says in 500 years we'll
be able to decode the PNGs and depending on how complex the XML is it might
be challenging as well - cf. Microsoft's Open Office XML (OOXML) format. I'm
also not sure I get the connection between the physical raster images on the
wafers and the XML/PNG - you certainly wouldn't be able to read the latter
with a high-powered microscope and the accessibility over time issue would
remain.

- It seems like the process involves you sending your files to them, whether
paper or electronic, which has substantial privacy and security
implications, and then they do their photolithography thing at some
(unspecified) cost.

I'm also slightly concerned that the FAQ hasn't been updated since sometime
before May 2010 - see e.g.
http://www.nanoarkcorp.com/technology/waferfichefaq/ where it notes, " Q)
Can you store data that is in color? Ans) NanoArk has a patent pending
technology that enables archival of true color information. However,
research and development is under progress to design a commercially viable
process. This technology is expected to be released into the market by May
2010." No progress in 2.5 years isn't promising to me - nor is the fact that
they haven't released a newsletter since Aug 2010.

In short, not certain which problems you were thinking about but I don't
know that I'd be comfortable with this particular solution today after just
a few minutes of research, and I remain skeptical about this overall
approach.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM
Director, Research and Development