From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:56:02 -0500
David,

You might find more help, specific to the legal profession, the legal list.
You can contact Lee Nemcheck, [log in to unmask]  to find out more.

Chris Flynn

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Steward, David <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:  In other words, does your firm
tie retention of all matter materials to the client level and not to the
individual cases?  Do you wait until representation of the client has been
terminated before starting the retention countdown for all materials?  Or
do you apply retention at the matter level so the retention period is
activated when the individual matter is no longer active?

We have considered the following:
-10 years is the most conservative retention period within the
jurisdictions in which we practice.  Therefore, we will use that 10 year
period as a minimum default.
-We had previously assumed that matter status alone would activate our
retention countdown.
-We realize matters which fall under certain practice areas may be retained
well beyond the 10 year period

Any input would be most helpful as we determine the best practice for
retaining and preserving our clients' files.  Thank you.

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP
4801 Main Street, Suite 1000
Kansas City, MO 64112
Direct:  816.983.8860
Fax:  816.983.8080
huschblackwell.com<http://www.huschblackwell.com/>
View Bio<http://www.huschblackwell.com/David-Steward> | View VCard<
http://www.huschblackwell.com/David-Steward/vcard>

****** Begin Notice from Husch Blackwell LLP ******

Pursuant to U. S. Treasury regulations, we inform you that
any federal tax advice contained in this message (including
all constituent email correspondence, attachments, enclosures
and/or exhibits) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties
under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing
or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.

****** End Notice from Husch Blackwell LLP *******

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.