From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:00:50 -0500
well I guess...
One I think you should look at the rate of reference you have or expect for
the collection.
Low rate might dictate a lower level of indexing
High rate could lead to at least portions of the collection be documented
to a high degree.
there is an axiom that filed records are only accessed to about 15%.
With such a low rate expensive or time consuming processes might not be
warranted.
I would build a basic inventory possibly based on AS 4390.
It would give a level of control
If the collection is archival or very long term, I would build an extended
form with optional indexing values that can be added to over time as the
records are accessed.
This would build deeper metadata strucures where the value might be more
warranted nadn keep you from wasting resources on records that do not
warrant such attention.
If I recall correctly AS4390 had eight indexing values with some two
hundered optional values.
I could be wrong
You should work from a standard.
There is no guarantee that you will be there at the end of the project in
fifty years.
Consitent application of metadata terms over time will greatly improve the
value of the work.

Good luck

Chris Flynn