From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:51:11 -0400
Allow me the privilege of being the Devil's Advocate:  "programming source code is NOT a record".

Obviously, much depends on how you define a record.

Under the broadest definition, almost anything can be a record including, as I have mentioned before, geological core samples.

The problem with the most expansive definition is you have no boundaries. In a "no boundaries" situation, "scope creep" becomes institutionalised, and such well-accepted methods as cost-benefit analysis fail altogether.

So perhaps one could say that, in theory -- and in the right business context -- programming source code COULD BE a record, but that under, most organisational settings, it SHOULD NOT.

A fruitful discussion indeed.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin, Vice-President
Records Management Department
New York City Economic Development Corporation . www.nycedc.com
[log in to unmask] . w. 212.312.3903 . mobile 917.510.3016 . f. 212.618.5722