From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:15:29 -0600
Full disclosure: I work for AIIM as headquarters staff, specifically as
director of our training and certification programs.

For my part, I find the social opportunities to have significantly more
value than the sessions and have for several years. It's the "hallway
conversations" - and by hallway I mean ARMA Houston Hospitality Suite, show
floor, lobby waiting for dinner, etc. - that have been most
thought-provoking to me. What that means to me is that if I'm not speaking,
it's a difficult choice for me as to whether to attend conference, or just
get the expo pass.

With regards to the immediate point about the length of conference, there's
always tension between how much content can be offered, how it's credited
for e.g. ICRM or CIP credit, cost, the amount of time people can spend out
of the office and attendant travel costs, and so forth. I think it's
incumbent on those of us putting on conferences to ensure that we really do
deliver the maximum amount of value for the attendees' (and their
organizations') bucks. For those of you who think that there are issues
here, I strongly encourage you to make your points known to the Board and
the conference folks as Judy and others have.

To Peter and Julie's points, we routinely submit AIIM events for ICRM
credits and have never had an issue in getting them preapproved. Webinars,
seminars, the newly relaunched AIIM conference (next March in New
Orleans!), our training courses - all of them have been preapproved in a
timely fashion and can be used by CRMs for CMPs. (And for you CIPs out
there, AIIM stuff of course counts but so do ARMA, PMI, BFMA, etc. events,
and as Peter noted, even vendor events provided that they are educational
in nature.)

Cheers from gorgeous Colorado,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM
Director, Research & Development, AIIM