From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:21:05 -0700
Interesting...my take is a bit different.

the data doesn't actually reside with the service provider (ATT, Verizon,
Sprint, whomever) or Apple, unless you have an iCloud account you use for
backup, so if it is never at rest there, I don't see how they could own it.

The data is on your iPhone, and when you sync the phone to a computer, you
create a backup of the content that resides on the phone.  Naturally, with
things like gmail or other web based applications, that data resides with
the provider.

The only "data" I'm aware of that resides with the service provider (or
Apple) is 'stuff' like your IMEI, your setup info, and some of the items in
"Settings, General" about the phone properties/usage.

A lot of people use the iCloud (5gb is free, you pay for what exceeds that)
to store their content, and then "who owns it" is covered in the T&C of
that agreement, but it's similar to most cloud agreements... you pay for
the 'service and convenience' of having it available to you remotely, but
if it gets damaged, lost or compromised, too bad... that's part of the
service- and it's FREE!

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina