From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:58:32 -0700
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Glen Sanderson
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Have any of your storage vendors started using RFID barcodes?  If so do
> you think the expense is worth it?
>
>  Shouldn’t we be getting the barcodes for  a reduced rate if it is making
> their inventorying job easier?

Vendor:  Hello. We're implementing the use of a new technology to track
boxes in OUR warehouse.  It's going to be very beneficial for our clients
,and we expect you to pay for it.

Client:  Isn't it part of your RESPONSIBILITY to track MY boxes in YOUR
warehouse now?  If anyone is going to benefit from this, it would seem it
would be YOU, so WHY do you expect ME to pay for it?  I'm fine with you
adding this RFID tracking device if you'd like to, but don't expect me to
pay for you handling and tagging my boxes with tracking information to
assist you in doing what I've already paid you for.

The intelligent way for them to do this is on a day-forward basis, to apply
the tags (I'd assume in lieu of a bar code they presently use) to all NEW
records coming into the facility, and to any records as they are removed
from the shelf to go out as requested from clients.  All "static inventory"
would continue to be tracked as-is until it is touched.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*