From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:46:45 +0000
I've been a records manager in laws firms for 26 years.  My current firm has a 30 day email retention policy.  User involvement is essential to storing "records" and not just everything. There is no need, in a law firm , to store every email.  Email is stored based on content, in other words based on whether it is a record or not, as defined in the firm's written email retention policy. Of course, the 30 day retention cam be suspended for users involved in a matter under a legal hold.  It works for them.

By keeping retention short it forces the users to declare an email as a record and move it to our DMS or lose it.  Thirty days worth of email, is a lot of email, but it's not so unwieldy that you can't go back to it more than once to declare something an email.  However, a with a 30 day retention, it encourages you to declare it right away, or possibly forget it and lose it. Declaring it right away is the best and most efficient behavior.  Once it is in the DMS it becomes part of the client/matter and subject to our records retention schedule for client/matters by type of law.

A six month retention might work for some,  I'd question if that isn't too great a burden on the users to manage effectively.  I'm sure others would argue that 30 days is too short.  You have to look at all the issues, firm culture, budget restraints, risk assessment, etc.

Bill Creamer
Records & Conflicts Manager
212.728.3448