From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:50:47 -0400
Good morning all,

My family and I live upstate New York (Westchester County), and we're
all right, but I'm worried about NYC EDC employees who live in in New
York City.

We've lost remote access to our main and backup servers, probably due
to power loss. Fortunately, the corporation has an emergency email
system which is up and running.

Glen, I'm fairly sure your daughter in Brooklyn Heights is fine (I'll
assume she, having her father's Australian good sense) didn't go
wandering outside during the storm. I have a long-time family friend
(in her late 80s) who also lives on Willow Street in Brooklyn Heights
and she was fine late last night (I haven't checked in this morning).
Brooklyn Heights is a good 60 feet (20 meters or so) above the mean
high watermark, so flooding is more likely to be small-scale. I gather
the power loss didn't hit there--there are some interesting photos on
the NY Times Web page showing the Manhattan side of the East River
bridges dark, and the Brooklyn side alight. If you have a phone number
for your daughter, I'll give her a call (if you haven't been able to
reach her).

As for myself and family, we are extremely lucky:  no trees or large
branches fell on our house or cars, and we still have electrical
power. Last year at the same time, we had an unexpected and very large
snow storm, as a result of which most of the weakened/old trees were
destroyed, and the cleanup crews took out the remainder.

The sun is just coming out as I write this message.

Many thanks for your good wishes,

Fred Grevin
----- Message from [log in to unmask] ---------