From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:25:48 -0800
Okay so here's a REAL WEIRD ONE... we have voters who are being required to
present multiple pieces of Fedceral or State issued photographic
identification in some states to vote (I PERSONALLY spoke to a woman in
South Carolina this morning who went to cast her ballot and was required to
produce *3* forms of photo ID)... then we have this situation in NJ where
ballots are being accepted by email.

Now I KNOW, there are extenuating circumstances that developed last week
there, but in the article it says :

"Voters must file an application to their county clerk and sign a secrecy
waiver. The directive doesn't sit well with technology experts, however,
who note that Internet communications are susceptible to interception."

"What assurance does a voter have that an emailed ballot will be counted
and that it has not been tampered with along the way?" he states.

"Computers used to send or receive ballots could contain malware and alter
or delete ballots sent from them--a danger especially for public, shared
computers, Blaze adds. Even in the absence of malware, hackers could launch
a denial of service attack to overwhelm New Jersey county clerks from
receiving ballots, he added"

So they need to file an application, which I assume must be approved, and
then a ballot gets sent out...and the election is tomorrow.  BUT.. if they
don't have power, internet connections or computers (because they may have
been lost/damaged in the hurricane, then HOW do they do this?

Then, at the bottom of the article there are links to 4 embedded stories:

NIST: Internet voting not yet feasible
Internet voting not ready for elections, says DHS official
Internet voting advocates ignorant of software, says Simons
Small coding mistake led to big Internet voting system failure

ALL of which discuss the reasons email voting is a BAD IDEA.

Like I said, I UNDERSTAND WHY this is happening, but there had to be a
better alternative... and this election, they BETTER COUNT ALL OF OUR
MILITARY BALLOTS!!!

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina