From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 12:31:53 -0800
Won't disagree Vlad.

I think where Federal Agencies (and especially Contractors TO Federal
Agencies) have to be careful are with records having a Permanent retention,
which have specific rules about gaining approval PRIOR to making a
change/decision to maintain in electronic format, specifically when they
were in hard copy format to begin with.

It's not that you CAN'T do it, it's that IF you are considering or you do
it, you have to have well documented process and procedures not only for
the conversion, QC, capture and storage, but for the subsequent retention,
migration and periodic conversion to meet required retention.

Even in the case of "born digital" records, 36CFR Part 1236 lays out
requirements for the development of and controls required for systems, the
avoidance of technological obsolescence, the criteria systems must meet,
even for the media, sampling of data and storage of media electronic
content is stored on.

In the case of Contractors, it's important to remember the records you are
managing DO NOT BELONG TO YOU; they belong to the Agency you are under
Contract with.  "Access and Ownership" clauses in the FAR give some
guidance on what must be done relative to these records and what
obligations you have, but most contracts defer to 36CFR or Agency Orders or
Directives for an organizations requirements.

And you're right about time frames for destruction after conversion (where
you have obtained prior approval to convert) in some cases it's 60 days, in
others it's one year. Again... provided you received approval first.  This
is not one of those cases where it's "Easier to ask for forgiveness after
than to obtain permission first".

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina