From:
Fern Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:44:02 -0700
Dan
I have been in RM for a long time and am now retired. At one time the
university offered a degree in records management, have you looked into the
material used for that program?
I am surprised you are still looking at paper storage, most records are born
digital and can be managed digitally now. I'd look into that as an
alternative - we used to scan only on request, these days people often have
their own scanners or a scanner is part of the photocopier so they can do
their own, anything not requested would never be scanned and would live out
its retention in paper form and be discarded.
Its best if you develop your own metrics by collecting information from the
repositories and your commercial records centre regarding activity, costs
current and future trends, perhaps the mailroom, reprographics and graphics
and IT should be brought in regarding activity, digital trends and costs. If
you are not sure where to start use a consultant like Tab Canada to get a
report on current state and recommendations at a high level which won't be
expensive, address details slowly later.
Fern Phillips retired CRM in Alberta
http://www.pfern.info
and www.fernsblog.wordpress.com