From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 08:34:39 -0600
Glen,
I guess I question your premise.
"A retention schedule that has its basis in regulatory and statutory
requirements."
Outside those highly regulated industries (yes Larry I know you keep your
HR files 500 years), retention schedules are based on standard operating
procedures. Laws and regulations for retetnion are sporatic and many times
derive from case law.

Does anyone know how many laws there are in the US that affect retention?
Well maybe ther eis someone that knows but, to the best of my knolwedge, I
don't know them. There are services that you can purchase the attempt this
mighty feat. If you purchase these services you may achieve a level of
understanding, How good are they? non-disclosure.

Are they fairly uniform across states?
I remember when Idaho Dept. of ADministration was under the gun to produce
a retention schedule. They cut and paste the Oregon retention schedule
replacing Oregon with Idaho. So there was, for a time, a level of
uniformity. It went away. can you imagine a state like Texas agreeeing to
do anything the same as any other state?

Does federal always trump state or does state trump federal?
Are you new? Two ways to look at  this. The war between the states was over
state's rights and with the end of the war it was decided that the central
Federal Gov. reigned supreme.
The second way to look at things is to say the war was over slavery and
that was resolved. The dispute of over states rights continues. I had a
boss tell me that we did not have to integrate the changes to the FRCP,
because we were in a state. Truly one of the finest legal minds of any
generation.
This is one of the questions that keep lawyers working. If the point is so
fine that you cannot reconcile the answer get your legal counsel to review
it and sign off on it. I do mean sign off. Get them to ink it.

Glen, not for nuthin but, I know it is Friday in Texas (a known state
holiday) have you started drinking early?

Chris Flynn