From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:58:08 -0500
Hi Anna,

I'm essentially reiterating what my esteemed colleagues have already said,
but here it is for what it's worth ...

Because you have two rooms (and conceivably in the future could need to add
additional rooms), I suggest the following:

Room Code
Shelving Unit/Rack Code
Shelf Code

If you have multiple aisles in a room, you may consider adding an aisle
code, but that probably isn't critical for the size of operation you have
described.  Rack code *should* be sufficient.

Using a sequential numbering system (1-500) is likely problematic when
spread across multiple locations.  It may be feasible to do that for each
room, but then you'd have a room code and slot number anyway, so you aren't
saving yourself significant effort as opposed to using the approach
described above.  Plus, humans are pretty reliable once you get them to the
general vicinity - so dictating a specific slot isn't typically necessary.

I would also avoid a code for front/back, and agree that you'll likely end
up over time with the most used boxes in front position anyway.

Mr. Creamer's comments about "good enough" are spot on.  Since you know
your collection, facilities and users far better than any of us, gut check
your final decision against "good enough" and you'll be in good shape.

Good luck!

Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM