From:
Steve Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:16:25 -0500
Federal and state regulatory agency requirements for records/info retention
specify minimum requirements; not retention period.  So, one cannot trump
another.

Here is the retention factor matrix:
Operational (reference need)
Fiscal, if any (tax, audit, finance)
Regulatory, if any (Fed or state published specific regulatory requirements)
Legal, if any (General Counsel advice; considerations for statutes of
limitations; sometimes for other cultural or political factors)
Historic, if any  (Archival considerations; usually 1-3% of an org's info
assets; depending upon industry)

The retention for any record series will be the longest of the above
researched and evaluated requirements.  One requirement may be longer than
the other; the longest will define the retention.

State regulatory agency requirements are not always uniform; frequently not.

--
Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM