From:
"Mulinix, Marty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:33:07 +0000
Over the years of having our own Records Center, we have used both systems mentioned in the various responses.  Our first was similar to what Julie Colgan mentioned, using Room Location then Shelving Unit/Rack/Section (consecutive numbering),  although within the rack we used a consecutive unit number for a group of 4 boxes ( 2 high, 2 deep) instead of a shelf designation, with the lowest on the bottom left shelf and the highest on the top right (See sample below).  This would bring you quickly to the exact space, with the chance of the box you want being at the front if often used.

09  10  11  12
05  06  07  08
01  02  03  04

After moving to a larger facility we now do the Aisle-Section-Shelf-Unit system.

Marty Mulinix
Manager, Records & Information Management
Alston & Bird, LLP, Atlanta, GA
 678-355-2901