From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:11:54 -0500
I always find these types of stories fascinating as I often have familiarity with the actual vaults. Many years ago we were involved in three vault projects for the State of Texas. As often occurs during history, there will be a period of time where the powers that be will fund proper protection. The vaults, the environmental control, the lighting, the security access will be addressed and then for a long time, that entity will have a perfect situation where their heritage is protected.

But these lightning flashes of actual concern coupled with an appropriate funding source do not often coincide.

In this incident, will the desire to display it also include a serious intent to secure the document. This intent then must include a budget such as secure cases, proper lighting control and then security for the non-viewing hours.

I remember working with a Town in _____________ and their architect designed a “Vault??” which was secured by a wooden door similar to door sold in the wood working department of most lumberyards.  The room itself had no ceiling.  The Selectman claimed ignorance, ( I agreed with them!) of the need to protect their Deed books, Birth & Death records, Tax Records. Then to make it worse, they discovered a box of antiquities in the move to the new building that clearly called out the need for protection.

Their solution was to put the records on display in their Town Library in clear glass containers beneath harsh lighting.  Poor Thomas Jefferson. His letters fade more each day.

In a down economy, history takes a beating from improper care, the theft of precious documents due to poor security by collectors who recognize the value and finally communities that upon realizing they do not have the budget to protect the documents, end up selling them to some other person or museum who has the money to protect them.

One change I see is that families or collectors with rare and valuable collections now seek out museums and state archives that properly protect their collections. The museums who do the best job of protection can often win the most prized collections.

One encouraging note, is that the Native American Archives and Heritage Centers have really spent time to study the needs of their unique collection before they build their centers and our earliest Native American Records are experiencing a trend of highly secure and fire protected archival centers.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM