From:
Sam McCollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:32:13 -0700
Carol,

    I agree completely. We have resolved the issue of record vs non-record
by adopting the terms of transitory records and official records. Any
document/information that the organization requires for legal, regulatory,
operational, or financial reasons becomes a record as soon as it is shared
with another individual or entity.
   Transitory records/information have only immediate or short-term
usefulness, are required for the short term to complete a routine action,
are needed for the preparation of a report or summary (and superceded by
that report), or are classed as an external publication.
   The moment you share an information 'draft' with another individual or
entity, then it becomes an official record/information.
   We have a third term of 'working copies', that are copies of official
information that are created for operational reasons, are not altered, and
that are deleted within six months of their creation.

Sam McCollum, CRM, MBA

--
Sam McCollum, MBA, CRM, ERMm
President and CEO of SIMC Coaching