From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:15:36 -0500
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Steve Richards <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to state more emphatically what Jim just said.  But first,
> let me forewarn you that I am a dirty, rotten, stinkin owner of a
> commercial records center (used to be called, Amy's disclaimer).

and a UT Knoxville fan! ;-)

> And, how much do you insure one box for?  If the box contains the
> signatures of dead people, it will be impossible to place a realistic value
> on the box.  What if those who signed the document are in several cities -
> and it requires each to be present to reconstruct, how much will that cost
> to recreate?  I can give you other situations to think about but you can
> probably come up with your own.  You cannot insure one box for one amount
> and another box for a higher amount.

Steve as provided some good information. Many on this list may not be
familiar with Diversified Records fire that resulted in two lawsuits
against the CRC. The end result was that the plaintiffs won the case. this
link http://www.arma.org/news/index.cfm?NewsID=153 will provide you with
some information about the case. the key is that it was not what the
records or information was worth but how much it would cost to recreate the
information. I'll have to check my files but I remember that ExxonMobil was
able to prove that it would cost over $10,000 to recreate the contents of
one box.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va