From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 13:39:18 -0800
Maureen-

You don't have to be a member of NFPA to serve on a Technical Committee...
and there isn't a committee meeting every year, in fact, the committee only
meets in person the year of a revision cycle.

I was only a member for two years, and these were gratis membership
provided by NFPA after I had been on the Committee for 10 years as a "Thank
You" gift.  I've attended a total of 4 meetings in person in the 12+ years
I've served on the committee- and I probably could have avoided one of
those.

You're quite fortunate to have an employer willing to pay for the items
they do- In the 29 years I belonged to ARMA, my employers paid for
memberships for 4 of those years, same with AIIM, and they paid for
Conference registrations and costs about half of the 10 times I attended.
Over the past 5 years, I've had to take vacation or unpaid time to attend,
and any memberships, attendance or registration have been all on my own
dime... and given the quality of the product, I doubt I'll be going much in
the future.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina