From:
"David T. Macknet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:13:58 -0800
 Jim,

 OK, I'll buy that, I guess - I think that it depends upon what we mean
when we say "bureaucracy."  If a system of records-generating actions are
implemented at the request / requirement of an "external master," then some
level of control (whether individuals with responsibilities surrounding
those records, or systems designed to maintain those actions) must be put
into effect.  Whether that control is regarded as bureaucracy, though, is
the question.

 I'll agree that focusing on rules instead of results seems to obviously
result in bureaucratic processes.  However, in an environment with rules
which must be proven to have been in place, how can there NOT be a
bureaucratic process?  And, in the face of such a process, "bureaucracy"
would be present, even absent the existence of dedicated bureaucrats.

 Best,

 -David

-------------------------

 Dr. David T. Macknet