From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:24:52 -0500
Julie Colgan asked "what/who does the pigeon represent?  Perhaps, IT? Or maybe enterprise content?"

I was thinking of this article as a PARABLE of flexibility and rapid adaptation to a new environment, and not as a specific predator/prey relationship:  " ... these findings suggest that this new predation behavior might represent an extreme example of the ability of introduced species to adapt to a new environment that could have unexpected implications for consumer-resources dynamics and ecosystem functioning, that deserve further investigations." (from the Conclusion). I do think we RIMers have to display extreme adaptability        ;-)

Although it's fascinating to me that the pigeons have not yet figured out what's going on ...

In reply to your second message (anthropology degree), did you note that, while only a small population of these catfish are preying on the pigeons, a very substantial proportion of these catfish' diet is pigeon? I do hope they follow this study over the next several years ....

And, as for the catfish going after your feet, Julie, all you have to do (as the article says) is NOT MOVE---the catfish use their upper jaw barbels to track vibrations in the water.

A lovely weekend to all!

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin, Vice-President

Records Management Department

New York City Economic Development Corporation * www.nycedc.com

[log in to unmask] * w. 212.312.3903 * mobile 917.510.3016 * f. 212.618.5722