From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:05:06 -0600
My suggestion is to begin with questions, not statements.  Here are some ideas:

Where do you see the information environment in a year?  In ten years?
What are your perceptions of the biggest gaps in our current records environment?
What frustrates you the most when you work with records/documents?
What keeps you awake at night when you think about compliance, risk, and litigation issues?
Imagine you have all the power and resources you need to build the perfect information environment.  What would you do?
Where would this company be if we suddenly lost access to our vital information?

I have found such an approach to be an effective vehicle to identify opportunities to build a program.  Leaders almost always know what they don't like and how they wished it would work.  And learning about the frustrations provides you with the chance to address something that will be visible to your stakeholders.  Even if it isn't the classical way to begin building a program, I have found that momentum and buy-in creates a foundation to such success.  And you can truly state that your initial efforts are to improve those areas suggested by your leadership.

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP
4801 Main Street, Suite 1000