From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:54:11 -0800
Fred (and others)-

What was sort of troubling to me here was this was all coming from NARA,
and in a large part, it was addressing the handling of email as
'documents'.

Given NARA issues and is responsible for 36CFR, they don't seem to be too
familiar with their own guidance.  It's pretty clear there that if the
email meets the definition of a record, you move it to an ERMS, assign a
retention period to it, and through metadata identify any classification
caveats.   If it's NOT a record, you can leave it in the native email
application and handle it as transitory... and delete in within 180 days.

Granted they did mention Presidential email here, but essentially the same
guidance holds true here.  Part 1270 gives no special directions on
Presidential email being any different than other email, with the exception
any disposals must be reviewed by NARA... and we all know how diligently
THAT has been happening, since the issuance of the first Presidential email.

Part 1260 gives relatively clear guidance for declassification... I mean,
as clear as the rest of 36CFR... but as the gentleman from the Air Force
stated, there are concerns within certain branches of the Federal
Government about the approaches being suggested here... and a lack of
clarity about 'documents' and 'records'.  Some agencies deal with a lot of
NSA related materials and specific guidance regarding the efforts to
declassify that information was issued in the past
http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/declass.pdf  and it can probably be repeated
again here. Sufice to say, thee will be nothing done in a automated fashion
or through the use of any algorithms here, they will all be touched and
reviewed, in detail.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina