From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:27:07 -0500
Candace Hagood wrote:

As a newbie, I am looking for opportunities to speak on RIM related
topics and broaden my network. Any suggestions for local speaking
opportunities for someone midway into their career?

Way back in the Jurassic period, when I was starting out my speaking
career, I found out that the best way to get speaking opportunities was
to write.  As a matter of fact, my entire speaking career has been an
accidental artifact of writing articles.  I didn't think I wanted to
speak, I just wanted to write.  But when my articles started coming out,
people started callling to ask if I could do a seminar on the same topic
as the article they'd read.

There are lots and lots of seminar committees out there looking for
speakers.  Your problem is, they don't know you're there, they don't
know what your expertise is, and they don't know if you can talk
intelligently about it.  So If you write an article on a topic of
interest and you sound like you know what you're talking about, seminar
committee people hunting around for a speaker will seek you out, because
that article puts you on the radar, proves you actually know the topic,
and proves you can construct real sentences.  And if my experience is
any indication, an article in even the most obscure publication seems
not only to get read, but to get saved.  I sometimes get calls about
articles I wrote years ago that someone clipped and put into a reference
file somewhere.

So I'd encourage you to start writing and getting articles published
wherever you can -- chapter newletters, ARMA mags and publications, and
the many, many other professional newsletters and publications in other
industries to whom RIM and Information Governance are of interest.  If
you get some material published, people will call.  Having a resume with
some published articles in professional journals in it is not a bad
thing either.

I might add that some writing opportunities actually pay money, so
there's aditional incentive there.

John

--
Best regards,