From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:28:10 -0800
I have to say that I am kind of astonished by the mis-interpretation of
most public records laws. If a record is available for public access,
people are entitled by law to access and utilize those public records as
they see fit. In fact, it would be inappropriate for me - as a public
records manager - to ask them for the purpose. Sorry folks, but that's not
part of most public records laws, nor should it be. If it were, it would
only be a matter of time before someone would accuse me of being an
obstructionist bureaucrat!

Many people consider the public accessibility of recorded property
documents to be unsupportable invasions of privacy, for very similar
reasons cited by the gun supporters here. And yet I am sure many in this
discussion would consider such access necessary for "legitimate business
purposes" (say, marketing). You may not like how the information is used,
but its not my job to determine whether someone is going to like it or not.
Its my job to make legally accessible information available upon request in
the most timely and complete manner possible at the lowest cost to the
taxpayer.

Would anyone here really rather have me do it any other way? And, by the
way, public access laws can be changed through the legislative process. If
you don't like what you see, get involved, get active, and contact your
elected officials.

I--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management & Distribution Services Manager
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
ph: Records- (503)988-3741
ph: Distribution - (503)988-3533, x29131
cell: (503)260-2263
fax: (503)988-3754