From:
Sam McCollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:53:26 -0700
Claudia,

    Our classification system is designed around 15 corporate functions (or
big buckets) that include both administrative and operational functions.
Our functional classification is considered to be a hybrid, for it includes
two special functions. The first is 'reference materials' which are not
created by the organization and are generally kept until superseded or
obsolete.
   The second function is 'project management' which are files that may
contain function items already included in one of the other 13 'buckets'
but need to be filed together as part of the project and that have a common
disposition period. In answer to how we assign a retention schedule to
these project files; we first divided the project files into two groups.
    All specifications, design, and commissioning information is retained
until 11 years (legal requirement) after the project or asset is
decommissioned. This requirement is designed to ensure that critical
information that describes the asset can be assessed while the asset is
still active.
     All construction and maintenance information is retained for 11 years
after construction is completed. This information is only retained until
the end of the period where legal action can be initiated for construction
related issues.
   It is important to note that a purchasing document/information may be
included under the function of 'Procurement' and retained for the general
period of seven years that is assigned to most financial documents. A copy
of that same document/information may also be included in a project
management file and be retained for the life of the asset plus 11 years.
   This same grouping of different functional documents/information may be
used for other 'project type' functions such as property files or employee
personnel files.
   I hope this information is useful in your retention decisions regarding
engineering project files.

Sam McCollum, MBA, CRM, ERMm
President and CEO of SIMC Coaching
RIM Professional since 1983