From:
Ilona Koti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:28:57 -0800
I agree with Ginny on the systems issue.

For the electronic systems the terms EDMS and ERMS had a wider distinction between them in the late 1990s and early 2000s when you could start attaching actual documents or scanned images of the document onto the system record, and thus the term ED/RMS evolved.  Even though most records systems have now built in the capacity to attach documents, you could really only use the early records systems to make a brief record that a document existed and/or was located in a particular physical location.

I do know that in some of the formal guidelines/laws in some sectors, the sections will refer to records, documents, data and information incorrectly, but I really think that is because the person writing the document doesn't understand the full capacity of what is required to retrieve the information that is being requested.  In the past we have written back to agency asking them to clarify what they are actually looking for and asked them if our interpretation of their verbiage is acceptable.

All the best -ink

Ilona koti